Sunday, October 25, 2009

Smog: A River Ain't Too Much To Love


Album: A River Ain't Too Much To Love
Artist: Smog
Year: 2005

This is my 2nd post and we've jumped exactly 30 years in the future from my last post we've settled on Smog. I've decided that I'm going to quit my habit of saying that albums are interesting before I start, because I've decided that the only albums that are going to make it onto this list are interesting ones, not boring ones. So, let the record show, these records are not boring. Different records may sound boring to different people... so its possible I might pick a boring one sometime. If I do, I hope all my readers (all none of you) will forgive me. I would forgive you for the same. So lets break it down.

1. Palimpsest

Google has just informed me that a palimpsest is a page in a book that has been reused. All the words have been erased, and the page has been used again. Neat concept, not sure what it has to do with the song. The song opens with very pretty guitar. Its the kind of music that makes you feel like you're looking at old photographs or watching an old home video or something with no plot that is full of scratches. Oh, and its probably snowing. This song has one of the most powerful opening lines I have ever heard. 1 reason for that is his voice. Its incredible, you just have to hear it. 2. I'm not going to say what he says, but lyrically its very good. There isn't much in the song but it is very precise and nothing is wasted, not a note or a word. Some songs have the power to change the lens with which you see the world, and I think this song is one of them. A very short, very powerful opening from Smog.

2. Say Valley Maker

In this song Smog reveals that their good lyrics are no accident. They are very good at this stuff. The lyrics in this song are very beautiful and its magnified because his voice almost seems indifferent, which makes everything feel... understated almost. Towards the end of the song there is an unexpected change in tempo that sidles into the ending with a look at some different elements. The guitar in this song is cool but its strength is with the lyrical content. "There is no love, where there is no obstacle." Pretty wise, no?

3. The Well

The guitar is more driven in this song, the drums and strings are more urgent. The vocals are almost spoken in the beginning, but they fold into a more melodic phrase, and then back again. In this song, Smog reveals not only can they write good lyrics, but they can also tell a good story. This one tells the story of man who comes across an abandoned well, so he tears away the boards and yells into it. (he hoots and here the music slows to a crawl, then picks up again and he starts again with the story) So the drip falls on his neck as he's leaning over, and he doesn't want it to roll down his back because he feels bad. I'm not sure I get it to be honest, but that doesn't detract from the song at all. Near the end there is a verse about black being all colors at once and its the best part (lyrically and musically). This is a pretty good song.

4. Rock Bottom Riser

Probably the most accessible lyrically so far, Rock Bottom Riser is about...well being at rock bottom and then rising. One of those hopeful, I'm not there yet but I'm getting there type of songs. A lot of symbolism in this song. The guitar isn't much different from the other songs, acoustic guitar arpeggios and chords, although this song debuts a piano. I'm not sure, but I think this song might be a single. Its good, but I don't think its the best on the album.

5. I Feel Like the Mother of the World

This song has a new sound, other than acoustic guitar. I'm not an expert, so I can't identify it but it sounds like something more eastern. I think this whole song is a metaphor for a desire for world peace, kind of using sibling rivalry for a symbol. Its hard to find a song about world peace these days that isn't preachy, and this definitely isn't. In fact, if you listen to it you'd probably be more confused than anything, I'm sure there are even more interpretations of these lyrics. Again, the vocals seem to walk a thin line between singing and spoken word, but his voice is so full, it sounds very good.

6. In the Pines

This song starts with a cool picture of a very long train. This song is slow, somber. The chorus is very cool and after it there is a sad string / whistling part. Not much more to say about this one... I think its a very good track, maybe even a standout. It has a bluesy feeling in the melody the other songs don't really have. The lyrics are very good but you need to experience it for yourself. This is the kind of song you might listen to while driving slow through a rural place you haven't been before. With powerlines and pine trees.

7. Drinking at the Dam

This song has a swaying guitar progression. While I was listening to this song another song started playing on a different web page I had open and that really startled me, because I thought there was like synth in this song. There isn't. Anyway. This song does not break the consistent good lyrics of this record. I think this song could stand alone pretty well too, although I'm beginning to notice that some of these songs kind of sound the same.

8. Running the Loping

This song has a cool guitar intro, better than a few of the previous songs. This last about 20 seconds and then it morphs into a 1/3 waltz. I know i've reiterated again and again that there are very good lyrics, but this song might have the best. There are some very standout, powerful lines in this song. I'm not sure I have a theory as to what this song is about, but i'm sure there are some interesting interpretations. Some of the lyrics seem controversial, like "never again to wonder / did that rapper rape her." Think on that a little.

9. I'm New Here

This might be my favorite track on the record aside from Palimpsest. It has a traditional folk feel to it, the guitar is solitary and loud, and his voice is just so rich. I think if i had to pick one representative track, it would be this one. This is definitely a standout and you should listen. Also, if you yourself are a guitar picker, you should learn this song and play it in front of an audience of your friends. That would be awesome.

10. Let Me See the Colts

This song has a sound that calls forth images of snowfall for me. This is another track that is more accessible compared to the rest of the record which is cryptic at times. "We walked out through / the dew dappled brambles / and sat upon the fence" These are the kinds of images that are all over in this record. This song is a strong closing for the album.

Closing Remarks:

Smog is actually singer / songwriter Bill Callahan, and this is his 11th and last release as Smog. Going into this record, I actually didn't know that it was the 11th... I have a couple other records by Smog but I didn't realize there were so many others. When I first start listening to a band I like to hear their first record usually... I feel like it gives you context when you listen to their later releases. I admit though, that listening to their last album first also gives you context. You know where they are... so how did they get there? I think I will definitely be listening to more bill Callahan records in the future. Not anytime soon though, shit. Got like 363 more to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment